Monday, May 20, 2013

Statement of Faith ~ Spring DWA 2013


Author's Note: On Saturday afternoon, I got confirmed and finally made the statement on what I believe. Each person getting confirmed had to write a piece on what they believe and why. There were three people chosen at each service to read their Statement of Faith. Thankfully, they chose me as one of the people. I thought I could turn this in as my DWA because I feel I have spent a lot of time making sure it was perfect for my confirmation. 


The world is filled with all different types of people. People from different countries, people with different skin colors, people speaking different languages.  No matter how different people’s lives may seem, God sees everybody the same, as his children. In the bible verse Isaiah 41:10 it states, “So do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” The first time I read this verse, I knew it was the one for me. I read each sentence and thought about their meaning, and realized that everyone’s life can be truly amazing as long as they have God in it. 

 “So do not fear, for I am with you”, to me, means to not be scared, God is always there for you if you need help. “Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.” Means to not to be stressed or worried about things in this life because, in the end, everything will turn out fine. “I will strengthen you and help you.” In my mind, this means that life will be difficult, but no matter what happens God is always there for you, to give you strength.   “I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” is probably the biggest part of this verse to me.  I picture myself actually sitting in God’s strong hand and I think there is nothing I can’t do with God backing me up!  No matter what you can do to mess things up, God is always there to pick you back up and start over again.  Overall, my thought about this verse is that God wouldn’t put you in a situation that you couldn’t handle, even though you may need His help to handle it. He is telling us to stay strong and trust in Him because He is on our side.

I feel like this verse really makes me think about my life and how different it is now that I am older. When I was a kid, there were no worries in life. I had a wonderful family, a bunch of friends, I didn’t have to worry about homework or any sports problems. Growing up changes everything. As you grow up, you get greater responsibilities. Of course, there is getting good grades in school, working hard in sports; listening to your parents. Yes, these things are all very important, but not as important as worshiping God. From the old testament of Proverbs, verse 3:6 states, “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Even though I never had anything going on when I was little, I didn't accept the fact that I should be going to church. I think I probably complained a little too much about having to get up and get ready every Sunday morning.  Now that I am older, I understand that worshiping God is more important than anything else in life.  And even though I still don’t enjoy getting up early, I don’t complain because it’s become important to me too.

Not until I started confirmation did I really understand how important church is. I think that Shepherd of the Hills really changed my thoughts about learning more about God’s word. I try to attend as much as possible to learn more and more. Like the verse says, if you worship God and read his word, he will help you and teach you things to keep your life moving in the right direction.

Once I started to learn more about the gospel, I realized that some things do get more complicated in life even when you are trying to do everything right. I have learned that God always has a plan for you though.  Although some situations will be hard, you have to remember that God has a reason for it. In Jeremiah 29:11 it says “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  It’s exciting to think that God has a plan for ME,  and that is why I am very happy to get confirmed and start my future learning and growing with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment